Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Two Reviews: Books 2 and 3 of Pratchett's Discworld

The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2)The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In this the second book of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, we continue with the adventures of Rincewind, Twoflowers and best of all, the Luggage. (I love the Luggage!) We meet with Cohen the Barbarian (love it!), trolls with diamond teeth, feisty maidens being sacrificed to prevent the red star from crashing into Discworld, and even at the end have an opportunity to share in Great A'Tuin's blessed event.

Pratchett's wit, humour and intelligence are sharp and rapid. Reading this at bedtime proved problematic, in that in a somnolent state I'd completely miss the lampooning of some real world star, and have to go back and reread just so I wouldn't miss out on yet another delightful giggle. Honestly, I haven't laughed so much reading books in my lifetime. I'm hooked. Completely, hopelessly hooked on Pratchett's Discworld.

Some of the best entertainment of the 20th and 21st centuries, and I daresay destined to become classics in generations to come.

View all my reviews Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In book three of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, both tone and characters change. More of a high fantasy than a farce, Equal Rites explores the rights of women in the patriarchal society of wizards.

Now, let it not be thought this a sobre examination of societal standards through the use of fantasy. Far from it. Pratchett employs his usual sharp wit and play on words to create a fast-paced, endearing and humorous view of wizarding society on Discworld. A quick read that will have you giggling throughout.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment