Monday, March 19, 2012

The problem with hats

... is that I have too many. Metaphorically speaking, that is.

Despite all my best intentions to set aside each morning for my own writing, the windfall of authors and titles that have landed with Five Rivers have left me scratching for time to sleep, let alone write. I'm not complaining. It's a wonderful problem to have. But it does mean that I've had to once again set aside my own writing career for the necessity of business.

As a result I've pretty much ceased writing anything new on my latest oeuvre, The Rose Guardian. An ambitious undertaking to begin with, trying to juggle my life as a publisher and that of a dedicated writer has proven incompatible.

I have, however, managed to finish a revision of my novella, Caliban, and despite knowing it requires a few more tweaks by way of technical detail and back-story, I've sent it to Five Rivers' editor, Barb Geiger for first assessment. As Barb put it to me, it would be better to know if I am at least on the right track by way of plot, before investing too much effort in detail.

So, Barb, with insight and expertise, is deep into an edit. We'll see how much revision will be required when I get it back from her, and whether I'll actually have a new release out this year.

In the meantime, well, I'm editing, doing layouts, creating covers, handling marketing and promotion. You know -- stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment