Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Writing Progress

The headline is perhaps a bit misleading. I've made little progress on any new writing, which means The Rose Guardian is stuck in stall. There's just been too much time required of me as a publisher to steal any time for the creative depth the novel requires.

All, however, is not lost. Barb Geiger, Five Rivers' editor, now has Caliban and is leaving blue pencil all over it for me. I was a little heartened when her first comment back to me, after reading the prologue, was "I'm mightily impressed."

Maybe the old girl (meaning me) has a touch after all.

The way my schedule looks I should have a small open space around the end of May when I can hunker down and revise the novella (Caliban). Maybe even see it published this year.

I also rootled around in my computer archives this past weekend and found the beginning of the transcription of another speculative novel I'd written back in the '80s, which we're going to call Brogan's Folly. You know, it wasn't half-bad. I didn't have to hold my nose or blush. Hopeful, at least. I figured in moments when I'm too boggled to continue editing or doing layout I could mindlessly continue to input the novel with the view to being able to revise it late this year. If I can't actually find time to write something new, then I can at least make use of what's laying about in drawers.

In the meantime, I'm deep into the edit of Ann Marston's novel, Kingmaker's Sword. To call what I'm doing an edit is perhaps a misnomer, more like a good scrutiny. Hoping to have that back to Ann by the middle of the month so she can do the small revisions required.

After that I'll be drowning in final layouts for Things Falling Apart, by J.W. Schnarr, Immunity to Strange Tales, by Susan J. Forest, and Downshift, by Matt Hughes.

Busy little bee am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment