Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review: Ortona Street Fight


Ortona Street Fight
Ortona Street Fight by Mark Zuehlke

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Mark Zuehlke, with his clipped, factual, journalistic style presents the facts of one of Canada's little known, bloody struggles and triumphs of WWII, the Italian campaign.

Without fanfare or blatant patriotism, he illustrates the tenacity, one might even say insanity, of Canadian troops who, once again, seized and held a strategic objective.

If I were teaching WWII history in Canada, this is certainly a book I would incorporate into the curriculum. Well researched, well written, well done.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I've have a copy of Mark's previous book on the Battle of Ortona and will have to add this to my list. My mother lived in San Leonardo, the village next to Ortona that was seized by the Germans. she lived through both battles, so this is very interesting for me. I will definitely get this book too. Mark is the most knowledgeable person on this battle I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete